The gathering of the Tiferet Bakhurim society in Kupiškis, Lithuania. Courtesy of Dubi Kaplan.
At the age of twenty-three, Shimon Segal, a resident of Šeduva, pursued interests distinct from those of his friends and acquaintances. While others engaged in sports, visited discos, and roamed the streets in fashionable attire, Shimon was drawn to a different calling. He aspired to follow in the footsteps of his ancestors, dedicating his time to the study of religious texts.
In 1927, he, along with two other like-minded individuals, founded in Šeduva a branch of religious society named Tiferet Bakhurim. This organization aimed to provide young men, primarily workers, with the opportunity to study the Torah.
Membership in the organization demanded diligence and discipline. Lessons were conducted almost daily, overseen by strict leaders who maintained attendance records, and monitored study progress. Over a few years, approximately fifty men joined the organization.
Interestingly, they installed a clock in Šeduva that precisely indicated sunset time. This enabled the community to know when to cease work, marking the beginning of Shabbat, the Jewish day of rest.